Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Threads and Wire

When you are making rings, use monofilament, it holds its shape much better than thread, but it does have its drawbacks.  I ONLY use it for rings. Monofilament will after time, dry out, crack and break, though this has not happened to my rings but it does to necklaces and bracelets that I have made, so  for those types of work I use thread.

If I am just doing a simple bead stringing project, I use beading wire 7,19, 49 are numbers you will see on this type of stringing material, 49 is the best, it will not crimp up on your work and is much much harder to break, 7 is easier to crimp and therefore will break but is really good for practicing and it is cheaper.

If you are doing wire crochet, then start with the thinnest wire, such as 28 gauge or something until you have the technique down to a science then move on to heavier wire.

Now onward, when you are beading, always, always hold your tail in the palm of your non-dominant hand to keep it out of your way. and it is really much easier to weave your beads if you take your working thread and loop it over your forefinger and hold it there with your middle finger.  This keeps your working thread out of your way while trying to get your needle through the correct bead.

Always keep tension on your working thread, tighten up your stitches as you go, not to terribly tight but keep it tight enough that you can see what you are doing and what you need to do next.

Also, learn to remove your work without having to take the needle off the thread.  This will save you so much time, but you have to hold that thread down tight when going back through a bead or your needle will split your thread and unless you are very very good you won't be able to remove more without taking the needle off.

I had to learn to do this well because I have such a difficult time threading the needle.  Fireline and Wildfire are braided threads and they are rounded while the needles openings are oblong and narrow.  Here is what I do.  Make sure you use sharp scissors or cutters to cut your thread length, then take the tip and press it between you flat pliers, this will flatten the end of the thread making it easier to go through the eye of the needle.  I usually fatten at least a half inch, sometimes more, but at least that.  Also be sure you run your threads through beeswax.  It helps prevent tangling and knotting of thread as you are working.

There are many other threads as well, such as Nymo, KO and others.  Personally, I have a lot of colors of both of these and will never use them.  I find that they fray much worse as you work your beads and also they simply do not hold the shape that I like with my work.  Just my personal opinion.  Others love these threads, so get one, give it a try and see what your preference might be.
I hope that this has helped you understand working with wire and thread with beads just a teensy bit better.

Have a great day with your beads.

Be Blessed
Pam

1 comment:

Debbi Huntington said...

very interesting...you need to do a tutorial video. :0)
debbi
-YankeeBurrow