Monday, May 5, 2014

Seed Bead Dilemnas

It has been a bit longer than I wanted since the last post of this series, but homeschool comes first, sorry my bead friends.  There was some testing to be done over the past few days and "little man" needed my computer.

I just wanted to clear up a couple things on the culling beads post.  You DON"T have to do this, but it is a good idea.  Keep reading for more information.

So, last post was about culling those beads.  Even the high quality Myuki beads do require some culling.  However, let's say you got a real deal on some just no-name beads from your local craft store or perhaps from a yard sale.  I did.  My daughter used to work for the local arts and craft store and to make a long story short she happened upon some busted bead boxes. Similar to the one I am showing here.

The container had been busted and many beads lost however, because there were so many beads left in the container, management did not want to throw it away, so they let my daughter purchase it for a nominal fee.
Now in the store today, I don't consider the cost of this container to be cheap, however, the bead selection is very poor quality. The sizes are off and it would take eons to cull these beads for use in, oh say a peyote stitch bracelet.  Not worth the time to cull these.  They are good for learning stitches if you watch each bead as you pick it up.  For myself, there is really only one use that I can find for these type of beads.  

Get you a bead spinner. like this one from Darice, or you can get a less expensive small wooden one which is what I use. Pour your beads in and with your curved needled threaded (follow the simple directions on the box) just give it a spin and watch the beads mount onto your thread.  Beads that are really really missized won't go upon the needle and you can just pop them off and keep going.

You really can make lovely items using a bead spinner.  The following photo is a piece that I just quickly threw together for a sample to show you here.  I am posting some really really closeup so that you can see the difference in the size of the beads from this type of selection.  But, Hey it make a really cute necklace


So see you don't have to cull the beads and you can still get some pretty neat pieces, but for brick stitch, peyote, square, you really want to make sure that the beads are really really close in size.

Back next week with another post on seed beading tips and ideas that have helped me tremendously in my learning curve and in reaching my goal of making beautiful jewelry.

Be blessed
Pam

No comments: