Sunday, March 31, 2013

SOMETHING DIFFERENT

Today I wanted to offer something just a bit different.  Yes, I am still a crafter, yes I continue with my jewelry creations and the crochet work.  I have added quilling to my list of passions now as well and you will be hearing more about all of that.  But....

This is a first installment of what could turn out to be a lengthy tirade regarding our public education and the government that is forcing things down our throat.

Today I wanted to talk about the education of our children.  I know that I may offend some of you, maybe many of you, perhaps even all of you.  But you know what, so be it.  My mother always told me that "the truth hurts".

To put it succinctly, I am sick and tired of being asked or required (by taxes) to support a public school system that refuses to support ALL of the children that are being sent to them. Some say that makes me a radical, some say I am asking for trouble, some even say I am just plain crazy.  You know what I just don't give a damn. Why you ask?  Well because I happen to believe that children should be taught, not controlled.  Our government is sponsoring a core curriculum which has now been adopted by 45 of 50 states which does not offer much in the way of true education but rather a method to control these children when they become adults.

We have our children for only a little while and I believe that each individual child is given to a specific parent by God for a specific reason.  Do we know what that is, no not necessarily, but does it matter what we know or do not know of God's reasons?  No, I say that it does not.  We are charged to raise our children to the best of our ability to become God fearing, responsible, empathetic, contributing adults.

Now back to that core curriculum for a moment.  Yes for those of you who have not been paying attention, it is changing.  You really should take a look at it.  Does this curriculum educate our children as we would hope, or does it put our children at risk of being controllable?

I will leave you for now to try to answer this question for yourselves.  I will be back again soon with another installment of this current pet peeve of mine.

Be Blessed
Pam

1 comment:

Yankee Burrow Creations said...

i've been googling and reading, and still can't figure out exactly what common core is...I heard something about our kids having to wear monitoring bracelets to measure their learning???
Debbi