Monday, February 13, 2012

SHOW OFF

Okay, I'm not really a show off, but I would like to show what I've been up to lately.  Just another curve in the road for me.  As I said on an earlier post "New Endeavors"  I am going to go full steam ahead in a new direction in my life.  Yes it is a bit late in life to change directions, but you know what, better late than never.  I have always done what was expected for the most part, although my mother 'God rest her soul' might have a different perspective. LOL  I have always been the one to pick up and move on until the last few years when I have become a little complacent and hesitated to change, but the time has come.  I love making jewelry of any kind.  I have tried a piece or two in many of the methods.  I have done some wire crochet, bead stringing, wire wrapping, polymer clay and now I am on to bead weaving.  I just love this one.  Not that I don't love the others, but there is just something about bead weaving that grabs you and pulls you in.  Now don't get me wrong, it is frustrating, at least for me, and I have stopped and taken it apart many times before actually finishing a piece.  The most frustrating about this is that I have vision problems, and I have a really hard time getting the monofilament or braided thread and even the bonded bead weaving thread through the needle.  I have tried all the needles that I have been able to find around here in the craft stores.  Michael's only carries the large eye needles.  Oh and the bent ones that I use in the bead spinner, sorry I forgot what the name of those are but they are great.  However, everyone tells me use a number 10 or 12, well that is fine and dandy if you can see the eye of the needle, me, I have to feel for it and it is purely trial and error to get that thread through that eye.  Then of all things, once I get the thing threaded, I have to find those itty bitty holes in the beads.  It is a comedy of errors if you know what I mean.  I could be a really good comedy show while doing this.  Everyone would get great laughs.  But I am one determined woman and I will persevere til the job is done.  Below is a picture of the couple of pieces that I have completed.  Not bad if I do say so myself.  Yes there are mistakes, but I wear it proudly anyway.  I will correct the mistakes on the next piece and YES there will be a next piece.  Just as there will be more polymer clay and wire wrapping and so on and so on.  Guess you could say I am trying to find my niche.  Yeah right!  I love to do them all.  And I love it even more when people stop and say, "oh what a pretty necklace" or bracelet or whatever I'm wearing at the time.  It just does my heart good to say, "oh yea thank I can make you one if you like:".  I had a friend see my ring the other day and she just said "oh I want one"  I asked her what colors she wanted and she said I don't care just make me a ring.  cool huh.


The bracelet above is a design by Andrea Mazzenga that she called Kate's Lace Bracelet.  Her video tutorial is amazing.  She is such a great instructor.  I really loved watching the tutorial and it turned out pretty well.  Like I said there are some mistakes but overall, the design came out well.



The ring to the right is a design by Eri Attebery and is called Flower Ring.  She is also a wonderful instructor and her video tutorial was wonderful.  I made this from watching the video once.  Well, not exactly, I watched the video then started over and watched, paused, watched, paused, and so on.  This particular one was done with a stringing wire which is all I had at the time and it worked well especially since it would not thread through a needle and I did it without a needle, but unfortunately and unbelievably, it stretched and now is too large for any finger on my hand.  But it is still a beautiful piece.

By all means critique me.  I love feedback and am always open to tips and tricks that could make my work better.  As I practice on the designs from tutorials of others, and get better at the technique, I will begin to attempt to create my own designs.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing from you all.


2 comments:

Abracadebra Designs said...

Hey Pam, Welcome to the wonderful world of beadweaving. It certainly is addictive. I love your enthusiasm and stick-to-it attitude. Have you tried needling the thread instead of threading the needle? Just stick a very short amount of thread up in between your fingers and put the needle onto the thread, not the thread onto the needle. Works for me all the time. Your beadwork so far is lovely and spot on. Very neat looking. I can't wait to see what you do next. :)
-Debbie

Pam @ A Bead Thing said...

Thanks Debbie, I appreciate your comments very much, it indeed inspires me to continue on. Take a look at the newest ring I did, it is much better and the new bracelets are great.