Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Questions

Good day everyone.  I hope that all are having a wonderful weekend.  It is beautiful in Florida today, breezy and sunny.  Spring is sprung here and it is wonderful. 

I have a question and I hope that someone who works with polymer clay can perhaps help me.  I have recently started working with polymer clay and thus far most of my creations have come from the poor results of attempting a 'skinner blend'.  When it does not work out I just use the mess I make of it and create something from that.  So far it is not bad.  The beads and creations look okay and I have received compliments when I wear it.  But here's the catch.  

I really really want to learn to do canes and it seems that nearly all of them require that first you must create a 'skinner blend' of your clay colors in order to achieve the cane that you want.  However, I can't seem to create the 'skinner blend'.  I try to follow the instructions to the letter.  I have realized or think that my first problem was the instructions indicate to run clay through pasta machine at setting #1.  I believe that it may be the thicker setting on that instructors machine, however, my thickest setting is #9.  So the second time around, I used that setting.  Still the same results, NO BLEND.  

It seems that I put the sheet through the machine and I come out with a sheet that is only about 3 inches wide, then when I fold it as instructed, of course it is only 1.5 inches, run it through the machine and I get just a little over 2 inches wide when it comes out, so that is three runs through the machine and it just does not seem that it can be folded anymore.   It certainly is not blended after only 3 passes through the machine. 

I guess I just don't know how to get a large square of clay through the machine to begin with.  I am sure that it is something sooooo simple that I will feel like and idiot when someone explains it to me, but can you anyway? 

I would appreciate anyone who may have the answer to this dilemna responding to me either through this blog or through my studio to my email or directly email me at abeadedaffair.pam@gmail.com.

Thank you for reading this and thank you to anyone who can solve my mental block on this particular problem.  I am sure that when I get over this little problem, there will be many more. LOL.

THank you for reading.

May God Bless You.

3 comments:

Strega Jewellry said...

I got a real kick out of your blog and your honesty in relaying your failures and insecurites with polymer clay. I've been told it's such a fun and easy medium yet I too, have struggled with it, following directions and failing. You dont look like you are doing too badly though. I'm going to keep checking you out.
I've been working with metal clay off and on and I love it. It is expensive, however and I would like to be able to make things that are beautiful from polymer.
Wish there were a class here that I could take.

Pam said...

Thanks for your comment. I thought about trying the metal clay, but the requirements to work that well were a bit too much for me at this point. I may try it after I master polymer which could be years. LOL

Where are you located:

Rachael said...

I have never used polymer clay myself (it's on my list of crafts I'd like to try)
However, there is a forum on http://craftsforum.co.uk which is dedicated entirely to working with the medium and someone there will be able to help. It's free to sign up to the forum and you don't have to be in the UK.