Friday, March 11, 2011

Creating Some Fun

Well hello everyone, it has been a little while but I have been pretty busy.  I have been trying to learn to use polymer clay.  I have posted previously some first attempts and they were, well, okay, but not where I would like to be.  Of course, that was very first attempt.  I will be posting some more photos in a day or so of some finished pieces of polymer clay.  Some are of the first attempt but sanded and given a gloss and some are newer pieces that I was practicing making canes and then some of the scraps that when I saw them, I liked the look so I made a bead with them.

But today, I want to show you the latest piece of wire wrapping that I have done.  These are simple earrings and was again, just practicing some thoughts.  Let me know what you think.  I like them.  One of my Twitter followers a bead company sent me a message indicating that they really liked this pair. 


They are a red glass bead that came from a mixed bag of beads I bought at a Hobby Lobby called "Asian Spice".  I really liked the colors and am going to try to make a necklace with the remainder to go along with the earrings.  The beads themselves are approximately
14 mm I think.  It is difficult to gauge since my template only goes to 10 mm and the manufacturer did not give that information.  I have worn them and received compliments on them.  I think folks just like the fact that they are a shiny bead for one and the gold wire just adds a bit of 'bling'. 

The next pair is made using a tear drop stone of purple with some variations throughout the bead.  It is a really pretty bead and was not sure how best to show it off, so this was my attempt.  I am not sure that I am satisfied with the finished look but will wait to look at it for a while longer before I decide if I want to start over with a different design.  I will show this one in gold wire as well as copper wire.  Hope you like them.


Gold wire wrapping
     copper wire wrapping.

As you can see there are some black veins running through this purple bead which give it some punch.

I think I really like the ones done in gold best, but the copper looks pretty good too.  I am partial to gold wire so that is why I think the ones in gold look better. 

The other pair that I have done is like the red dangles above but using a "blue-green Magnesite" bead which so closely resembles a light colored turquoise bead or even closer resemblence to some light chalk turquoise.  I have chosen to use this bead as it can be purchased at a fraction of the cost of turquoise and for my studio which attempts to provide beautiful handmade jewelry for women at a modest price, this works.






I hope you enjoy the photos and I look forward to hearing from many of you.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That is some great wire work. I love mending wire and making new creations. Wire wrapping is by far one of my favorite things.

I would love to see your polymerclay work. It's always interesting to see how an artist goes from a novice to an expert. That knowledge and growing with a new art medium is always fun and entertaining to watch.

Good Luck and thanks for the read :-D