Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm Up To My Eyeballs

I am up to my eyeballs in research.  Yeah, I finally got me a little hand operated
pasta machine.  I don't go all out for the expensive type until I know that I am going to at least do a fair job of things.  So anyway, a few weeks ago or perhaps longer, I had tried my hand at making some polymer clay beads.  Well they don't look bad, but believe me when I say, I am well aware that everyone could tell they were done by a beginner. 


Anyway, I had to put it aside for awhile because I have a lot of trouble with my hands and I did not want to put myself totally out of commission. I realized that I simply can not condition the clay by hand.  At least my first experience taught me that much, right.  So I waited until I could get a pasta machine of some sort.  I looked around and like I said I did not want to put a lot of money into it if it was going to be something that I did not enjoy doing.  That would be a waste of good money, which I am loathe to do these days.  Anyway, since my daughter works at one of the large craft stores, I decided to wait til they had a 50% coupon and get it then.  GOT IT!!!  Can't go wrong for $12.50 now can you. 


Well as you might guess, I am chomping at the bit to get started, but I thought I should do some more research first.  So tonight I have been on the computer as usual and did lots of reading.  My eyes are so very tired, watery from all the reading.  But I found a site, Polymer Clay Central and they have loads of artisans who have posted tutorials there.


I found so much information on techniques and blending and canes, I could not possibly read it all tonight, but I did read til the cows came home as they say.  It was very interesting to see how to make the blends and oh so easy with the pasta machine.  Of course, if it can be made difficult, I will probably find a way.  But not only that I found another location, (sorry I did not write down the link for you) that had a chart of colors.  This chart gave you the amounts of each color you would need to make a completely different color.


Since apparently a lot of colors that were very popular are being discontinued from some clay producers, this artisan decided to make sure that everyone could still create beautiful colors.  It lists the amount of the base color and the amount of either white or black to put with it to get the color that you want.  Of course, I supposed if one wanted to experiment with the portions, you could come up with a myriad of different colors.  Anyway, my plans for the moment with the polymer clay is to try to learn everything I can from anyone who wants to teach me and hopefully one day I will be able to create beads like these below.  My mouth fell open when I saw these, they are absolutely stunning. These were done by Cathy of Polymer Clay Shed.  She is absolutely great!!!


 Handmade Polymer Clay Buttons, by CAG


Polymer Clay Lentil Beads, by CAG








I think these are beautiful



Now does everyone know why I have been reading all night?  Yes, these are why.  When I saw these, I just knew that I had to try to create something with polymer clay.  Of course I can not hope to do anything nearly as good as these, but with practice I may be able to create something of my own that I can be proud of.


I will certainly keep you posted on the progress.  I should be able to start learning how to do the skinner blend tomorrow.  We shall see.  Stay tuned for updates on the progress of my learning and my attempts.


Have a wonderful Sunday and May God Bless You.

No comments: