Friday, January 14, 2011

What to do What to do What to do

Hi everyone.  My title today is What to do etc etc etc..  That is the $64000 question, right?  Well for me it is.  I want to do so many things within the jewelry making craft, but can't really decide which I want more.  I love the bead stringing and have done some of that, but what I want is to something spectacular.

Anyone have any suggestions.  We are going to be getting much stuff done in the next couple of weeks.  We have decided to take our jewelry to the local flea market.  A customer where my Leia (my daughter) works has given some indication that she does very well when she goes there.  According to her, she sells out every time she goes, so we are going to give it a shot.  It is important to get our jewelry out there.  Why, you ask?  Well first of all because we need to sell some items so that there is extra money to put back into supplies and additional tools.  We have a lot of items to work with, but anyone who works with jewelry as I assume most of the readers do, will tell you that there is always something else that you just gotta have.  Secondly, this is our attempt at earning some extra income to offset the hours of work that my daughter does not get at her job.  You see it is part time and that is all that is offered there or anywhere in our area actually.  There are not many other jobs out there at all and the ones that come up have over 200 people applying so why not try to earn money at something that you really really love doing and stay at home with your 3 year old son while you do it.

That brings me to another of my favorite subjects, Jaeden, my 3 year old grandson.  I hope you enjoyed the photos I put up of him and his "all day sucker".  He was hyper today, he actually went into our kitchen a couple of times and just ran in circles for 10 minutes or more.  All the while he is saying "Mimi, see how fast I run, I'm a good runner, huh?"  so cute.Running around in circles, fighting off make believe monsters and bad guys are his current best loved things to do.  Of course, I have to grab the monster and bad guys by the shoulders while Jaeden subdues them.  LOL. 

Anyway back to my original question.  What to do?  I am considering working with clay, polymer as well as metal clay.  But I have some questions.  Anyone who has the answer, please please please give me some info.  What I don't know is if a kiln is a requirement for polymer or metal clay.  If so, I may not be able to do this right now, a kiln is just not in my budget at the moment.  I have read many articles on the subject and some seem to indicate that a typical oven at approximately 110 degrees for a specified time is enough to do the job, but I am not sure about that.    I will be posing this question to any experts in the field that I can find.  But of course, we all know that those folks are really really busy and sometimes it takes time to receive an answer.  Even then because they have been doing this type work for a while, their explanations quite often go right over my head.  I am not looking for technical advice, just some simple answers to some straightforward questions.  What kind of tools are an absolute must, is a kiln required, etc. etc.  For metal clay, also is a kiln required or can a butane torch do what is needed.  I know that for metal clay, I will most certainly need burnishers, files etc.  What else.  Remember when answering, I am just a beginner.

Ok, now to all of you, would love to hear about what you are doing and what is new on your horizon.  What are your plans for your jewelry and how you plan to increase your business or change your focus if you do this year. 

On to other news.  My son in Afghanistan is doing well.  He says he is freezing and at times it feels like his fingers are like hammers when he tries to type an email to me or his wife because they are so cold.  I always have to overlook the spelling because I know that he is trying to overcome the weather.  I sent him some of these things that you place inside the gloves that are supposed to keep their hands warm for up to 10 hours.  He says the work pretty well and that without them he would have frostbite or something.  They had their first snow there a couple of days ago and it came with a lot of hail as well.  That has got to hurt when you are riding up top on a truck trying to see and make sure that big gun stays operational, while all the while watching for anything that might be unusual, out of the ordinary that could possibly be a threat.  I felt really bad for him the other day though.  He had tried to be nice to a little girl by giving her a Gatorade.  Unfortunately, another older male (child) came up took it from her and beat her up, poured out the Gatorade and threw the bottle at my son.  He told me "mom, I was just trying to be nice,"  "I don't want to do anything to cause anyone to be hurt especially a child."  I suspect that our soldiers come across this kind of behavior quite often.  However, he says for the most part, the civilians near his FOB are fairly friendly.  I guess it changes from day to day as the climate of their politics change, but mostly they just want to live their lives and be left alone by Taliban and US. I know I would feel the same way.  Just asking everyone to keep all our soldiers in your prayers no matter how you feel about what our country is doing or whether we agree or disagree, the fact is that they are there and they have a job to do and they don't get to make the decisions about what that job is.

It is not my intention to use this blog as a political "soap box".  I am not a political person.  I have my opinions but generally keep them to myself.  If you have one, you are welcome to give it.  However, this blog is basically just about me, my jewelry, my family and what is happening in our lives.  If you like it, say so, if you don't like, say so. 

May God Bless each and everyone of you and I pray that your respective enterprises becomes everything that you hope for.

Pam

No comments: