Thursday, January 20, 2011

As Promised a First Look at Polymer Clay Work - UNFINISHED

Good morning bloggers.  As I promised a couple days ago, I am posting some photos of my first work at polymer clay work.  These are the very very first things I have ever done.  They are very rudimentary and I am well aware that my techniques need a whole lot of work.  LOL.  Just wanted to put them out there for everyone to laugh at.  These items taught me a lot of lessons about polymer clay and how it works.  Hands on ---- that is how I learn best, it seems.

There are several photos of the same items but differnt view and hopefully better photography.  Photography is not something that I do well, but as in polymer clay, I am learning so bear with me.  Grab a cup of coffee and a cinnabun and have a "hoot".  It will make your day, I am sure.






Now as you can tell, they have not yet been sanded and polished.  I did a little bit of sanding on the hearts, however, as I was doing this sanding, I was reading some information on the web about finishing polymer clay work.  Well guess, what, yes I should have read it first.  Perhaps then I would not have run up to the Home Depot and picked up 300 and 400 grit sandpaper.  I would have gone to Ace Hardware or maybe Walmart and picked up wet/dry sandpaper in many grit variations.  I also read that the finishing can be done quite successfully with river rock if done properly, so I may try that as well.  With the open heart I call "Life's Hearts" it will not be possible to put into a tumbler with river rock. It is much too delicate.  It is very thin and even though it baked an appropriate amount of time, it is still slightly pliable.  I have not read in any tutorials regarding this phenomenon.  I will by the way, keep reading. 

I read on an artisans blog today, "Crafts by CAG".  She was showing off some of her beads and pendants.  She says it was her first attempt at beads and pendants.  Well let me say, you absolutely must go take a look at her work,  it is absolutely spectacular.  If that was her first work, I don't think that I should even continue.  But I will.  If it takes me years, I want to be able to do beads and pendants as good as that.  But in her blog page she has an archive of some photographs of polymer clay artwork.  From my perspective, anyone working with polymer clay, should really go take a look at that archive.  It has some of the most wonderful art that I have seen in a long time.  In fact, some of the work though from a few years ago, was just amazing.  I am not sure I can think of enough adjectives to describe the beauty of the work.  You must go take a look. 

Below is a couple of photographs of a piece my daughter has been working on and it is also not yet finished.  There is some filing etc that is yet to be done.  We are waiting for a shipment to arrive with some files and other tools that we have needed to do a better job with our wire.  She has another piece that she did for practice from a free tutorial she found on line as well, and I did photograph it but unfortunately again, my photography skills were just a bit lacking, actually more than just a bit, there was no way I could put those photos up on the blog, it would not have done justice to the job she did.  This was her very first wire wrap pendant and I will be sure to get another photograph of it tomorrow for posting.

But here is a wire cross that she did,  I finally got a better photograph of this and am posting it here first, then I have to go update my artfire studio with the better picture.  This was a first for her as well.  It is also done from a free tutorial that was found online at http://www.jewelrylessons.com/ and the teacher was Donna Spadafore.  It was a pleasure to make and she has made several of them.  Tell us what you think.




I love this and it wears beautifully on a medium size chain.  It is light enough to wear on a delicate chain however, the wire on this cross is not really suitable for a delicate necklace.

I hope you all enjoy the photos I have posted here this morning and I hope that you will leave your comments and suggestions for better work. 

Thank you for stopping by.

No comments: